Listen to a Worship song (If you need suggestions you can use one from the YouTube Playlist for this week) or express something that you are thankful to God for.
- Check In – Did you sense and leading or prompting from the Holy Spirit this week?
- Read this quote from Henri Nouwen: “At issue here is the question: “to whom do I belong? To God or to the world?” Many of my daily preoccupations suggest that I belong more to the world than to God. A little criticism makes me angry, and a little rejection makes me depressed. A little praise raises my spirits, and a little success excites me…Often I am like a small boat on the ocean, completely at the mercy of the waves.” Have you ever felt this way?
- What are some of the signs that someone might be struggling with approval addiction? Is it different when you are a child, teen and adult?
- Read: 1 Corinthians 4:3-5 and Galatians 1:10
- How might your life change if you had the same attitude as the apostle Paul, when it comes to being judged and criticized by other people?
- Why is it so hard to maintain this kind of attitude day in and day out?
- We often “confuse our performance in some aspect of life with our worth as a person.” What are some of the most common areas of life that people tend to use as a measure of their personal worth? What areas are you tempted to use? What can you do to fight this tendency?
- Read Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18
- What is Jesus trying to teach us about secrecy in our faith?
- What are some other areas of our spiritual lives (besides praying, fasting and giving) that this lesson should impact?
- What do we lose as soon as we begin to flaunt our acts of service and spiritual accomplishments? What are some of the blessings and rewards if we practice secrecy?
- What are some practical ways we can apply this principle?
- Pray that your group would find their validation in God. Ask God to help each person to live with a profound awareness that God is the only audience that really matters.
- Pray for any other concerns that your group has.
How can this principle help us to reach out in our community?