Listen to a Worship song (If you need suggestions you can use one from the YouTube Playlist for this week) or express something that you are thankful to God for.
- Check In – Anyone have any forgiveness stories?
- Have you ever had a time when you were a kid when you were made fun of? How did you feel?
- Have you ever joined in on the other side (and made fun of someone)?
- Read Luke 23:32-43
- Jesus is mocked and ridiculed as he hangs on the cross. Jesus continues to model forgiveness as he interacts with the two criminals on the other crosses. Often the criminals are described as thieves, Pastor John mentioned that an alternative translation may be “terrorist”. What do you think of when you hear that word? What do you think of the idea that God is willing to forgive terrorists?
- What stands out to you from Jesus’s interaction with the second criminal?
- Jesus promises him that “you will be with me”. What does God’s guaranteed presence mean to you?
- Jesus also told him he would be with him in paradise today. Paradise can be interpreted as both heaven and a garden. What do you think of the idea that Jesus is returning us to “garden of Eden life”?
- How can you practically apply this teaching?
- Pray for any other concerns that your group has.
How can Jesus’ interaction with the criminal on the cross effect the presenting of the gospel? How can we practically present the gospel to people during this time?